The Oxford English Dictionary has been the reigning master of the English language since the mid-late 1800s.
But, the language has evolved quite a bit since then, causing them to update it every so often.
However, for this update, they’ve started going a little more “Urban Dictionary” than proper English dictionary.
The newest additions to the book are:
• “Brexit” (referencing the hashtag used when Britain proposed to withdraw themselves from the European Union)
• “Bama” (popularized by Beyoncé in the song “Formation”, slang term to describe someone from the southern United States, short for “Alabama”)
• “Glam-ma” (A glamorous grandma. Seriously?)
• “Verklempt” (Overcome with emotion)
And my personal favourite:
• “Get Your Freak On” (OK SERIOUSLY!? THIS IS AN EXPRESSION, NOT A WORD.)
FUN FACT: All the words featured in this blog can be found in the Oxford English Dictionary.
What do you think of the new words? Let us know in the comments!