It’s hard to eat healthy in the dead of winter; you just want something that will stick to your ribs, warm you from the inside out and not blow your diet out of the water.
NEWSFLASH: You can still enjoy your favorite comfort foods and stick to your healthy lifestyle by simply substituting a few ingredients.
1. Chicken Parm via Martha Stewart – Who doesn’t want a nice bowl of pasta on a cold night? Keep it healthy by using whole wheat bread crumbs or Panko.
2. Mac N’ Cheese via chocolatecoveredkatie.com – when you think COMFORT food, you think Mac N’ Cheese. This version is baked and only has 250 calories per serving. Have some fun with it and add your favorite veggies for added nutritional benefit.
3. Sheppard’s Pie via iowagirleats.com – this one uses my favorite trick to stay healthy; subbing mashed potatoes for CAULIFLOWER! If you haven’t given this a try, you are about to be mind blown because you can easily make cauliflower taste just as good, if not better, than mashed potatoes.
4. Blueberry Pancakes via notyouraveragecollegefood.com – the key ingredient is GREEK YOGURT! If you haven’t hopped on this bandwagon yet, do it! Greek Yogurt is great for smoothies and to curb that sweet tooth you get before bed. Have fun trying trying this recipe with different fruits, buts and even dark chocolate.
5. Oatmeal Cookies via marthastewart.com – “Many recipes for baked goods can be tweaked to use equal parts whole-wheat and all-purpose flours, without losing flavor or texture.” – Martha Stewart (she’s so wise, plus it makes your house smell nice)
I’m a girl that likes to stay healthy and enjoys food, so if you have any HEALTHY recipes, feel free to post them in the comments below and lets help each other out on our quest to get healthy!