If you haven’t watched Netflix’s Making A Murderer, you better get started because it has sparked a nationwide debate that will really make you think.
WITHOUT spoiling anything, here is basic plot…
A Wisconsin man named Steven Avery was falsely accused of rape and released from prison after spending 18 years locked up.
Shortly after his release, he is arrested and convicted of murdering a young woman.
The show follows the case over 10 years and makes you wonder if the police are setting Avery up or did he really do it?
HERE’S WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW BEFORE WATCHING ‘MAKING A MURDERER’:
1. Steven Avery spent 18 years in prison for a rape in which he didn’t commit. With the help of the Innocence Project and advancements in forensic analysis Avery was exonerated. After he was released he filed a $36 million lawsuit against the county.
2. In October of 2005 Avery was arrested for the murder of automobile photographer, Teresa Halbach. She went missing after taking photographs on Avery’s property, making him one of the last people to see her. Soon after, a wave of evidence came in, including Avery’s blood found inside Halbach’s car.
3. Avery’s nephew, Brendan Dassey, 16, confessed to helping his Uncle kidnap and kill Teresa. Dassey’s first account of the events was quite detailed but he soon recanted his confession only to be found guilty and sentenced to life in prison. Many people question Dassey’s mental capacity, suggesting that he could suffer from learning disabilities.
4. The documentary is meant to show that Avery was set up and framed by police. His lawyers suggest that his recent arrest has to do with the lawsuit against the county. Ken Kratz is the prosecution assigned to the case and says the documentary is biased and is confident that the evidence points to Avery as the killer.
5. Avery and Dassey are both found guilty and are still currently imprisoned. Both have made appeals to no success. Due to a lack of money, Avery is acting as his own attorney. A group called the Center of Wrongful Convictions of Youth are fighting for Dassey.
We gotta ask….